I was walking 44 blocks to our MLB HQ from Grand Central when this happened.
"We Are Marathoners. We Go Big." And if you want to see just HOW big, then watch the video I just took with my iPhone. You can see for yourself what happens when you combine ASICS with the TCS New York City Marathon and iconic scenery for the world's biggest race.
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Saturday, October 4, 2014
"What running shoe is right for me?" Biomechanical analysis finally gives us the answer.
The comprehensive ASICS Foot ID is the best way to know exactly what shoe type you need and therefore run healthy for years to come -- the most important part of running. Today we had the opportunity to experience the full effect of the ASICS Foot ID system inside the ASICS NYC Meatpacking District Store. Rachel, our 19-year-old NY Road Runners member who ran her first Half last weekend, needed a new pair of shoes for the Staten Island Half next week. This was the perfect opportunity to explore the process from start to purchase, and I want to thank Boris and the awesome team at ASICS (and Rachel!) for obliging my documentation for you.
Those are the six easy and informative steps, and we'll go through each of them here with photos and videos.
Step 1. Registration. Rachel fills out the quick form with some basic info to help the staff assess her current situation as a runner. Rate yourself from 1 to 7, with 1 being a brand-new runner and 7 being a high-mileage competitor. She put down 4. Notice how comfortable the setting is in the middle of the store, with room for your belongings.
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
The Hamptons Marathon on Sept. 27 was my 15th marathon, my 107th race overall, and my third marathon of 2014 after the ASICS LA Marathon in March and the Boston Marathon World Run in April. After this I have the Staten Island Half on October 12 and then the Walt Disney World Marathon on January 11. Here is a recap from paradise:
Stained Glass Medal. It's the most elegant medal I own now. When you hold it up to a light, it is almost like a stained glass window, with a beautiful blue ocean hue, which you can compare to the shot below. The engraving is a lifeguard stand with surfboards on its sides. Nice style.
Friday, September 5, 2014
Runner's World provided this Half Marathon 12-Week Training Plan from my favorite running coach, Andrew Kastor of ASICS Mammoth Track Club. If it's from Coach Kastor, it's money. Accompanying details about the plan and larger version are here.
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
The new #ASICS GEL-Kayano 21 shoes are in and I would choose the black beauties!
I took the picture immediately above at the ASICS New York City Meatpacking District Store this morning. They're waiting for you like a big buffet breakfast.
I ran the ASICS LA Marathon this past March in the GEL-Kayano 20th anniversary edition. Go to asics.com to see the newest generation of Kayanos!
Which color Kayano would you choose?
Monday, August 18, 2014
I answered "yes" to all 15 of these questions below on marathonmaniacs.com. Guess that explains why I am Marathon Maniacs #6697 on their membership roll. How about you?
- Do your thoughts switch to the next scheduled race immediately after finishing a marathon?
- Are you signed up for more than one race right now?
- Do you know specifics about many of the marathons? Dates, courses, years run, etc.?
- Do you know the story of how the marathon got started? Also why the course is 26.2 miles?
- Do you read books on marathons like Marathon and Beyond?
- Is www.marathonguide.com bookmarked on your computer?
- Do you look at the race schedule more than once a week?
- Do you start to feel down when you haven't run a marathon in a while?
- Are your closets and dressers filled with marathon t-shirts?
- Do you have so many marathon medals that you've run out of room on the hook they hang from?
- When asked about your racing from non-running people, do you find yourself talking with great passion to the point that the person that asked the question regrets ever asking?
- Have you run marathons on back to back weekends? Or better yet back to back days?
- Have you run a marathon as a training run? Or just to pace a friend?
- When asked by loved ones what your plans are for the weekend, you feel guilty telling them your running another marathon so you tell them "it's only a half this weekend"?
- Do you plan all your vacations around a marathon race?
There are actual qualification steps to be a Marathon Maniac, of course. I got there by running an ultra within two weeks of a marathon. But I think those 15 questions pretty well cover the criteria best. All of them hit close to home here, probably why I go by @marathoner on Twitter!
Next up: Hamptons Marathon on Sept. 27, Walt Disney World Marathon on Jan. 11.