Friday, August 31, 2012

2013 NYC Marathon: I'M IN

In the span of 24 hours I just qualified for the 2013 ING New York City Marathon. It will be my fourth NYCM, following 2007, 2008 and the one I am about to run on November 4!
Relying on the lottery for any marathon is usually a fail. With some 250,000 applicants from around the world vying for some 45,000 spots, I believe about 9-10% of applicants win the NYCM lottery. Many people raise funds for charity to guarantee their spot, as I did in 2007.

New York Road Runners organizes the NYC Marathon and offers a guaranteed entry method called 9+1. You have to run at least nine scored qualifier races in the previous calendar year, along with one NYRR volunteer assignment. On Tuesday, I handed out race bibs at Niketown for my volunteer credit, and last night I ran my ninth scored qualifier of 2012. I'm in again!

In addition to finishing the Miami Marathon (January) and Paris Marathon (April), plus the All-Star Game 5K in Kansas City, here are my races so far in 2012. As you can see, my 42:22 finish in the Back To Football 4M Run made it official. The first line is last night's race, followed by the previous eight. Anyone can run a marathon, if you want it badly enough.




No comments: