Saturday, March 29, 2014

Meg, My Shoes and the Boston Marathon

Recently I saw a post by my friend Kel Kelly on the Meg's Miles Supporters Facebook page dedicated to the memory of Meg Cross Menzies, the Virginia runner who was killed by a drunk driver while training in January for next month's Boston Marathon. We all know about #MegsMiles and we came together to run on Jan. 18, the Saturday after Meg, wife and mother of three young children, was taken from us.

Kel is a Hopkinton resident who will run her third Boston. She came up with the idea for the "Meg Menzies Soles of Love" structure, built with an initial donation of 388 pairs of running shoes sent from around the world. It is now at Mile 1 on the Boston Marathon course, next to the iconic "Spirit of the Marathon" statue. Kel invited runners to send their shoes by April 1 and she would add them to the monument. I am so appreciative of the effort and dedication of her and her volunteers. Latest story here.

I reached for a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders that were given to me last year by Mizuno, for winning a contest in which I described proposing to Lisa at the finish line of the 2009 New Jersey Marathon. I ran in them maybe a couple of times. Here is the story of their journey. I cannot run the Boston Marathon, but my shoes will be there, in symbolic solidarity with the whole Boston Marathon renewal and to celebrate Meg's life. And then after that, all the monument's shoes will be donated for those who need them.






















I understand from the latest story that Meg's husband will run Boston in tribute to her. I wish him comfort and know so many runners will be with him not only on the course but in spirit worldwide.

Kel will run Boston with her wife Virginia Pitcher and her 23-year-old daughter, Julia McGovern. They are committed to raising $15,000 for the House of Possibilities, a nonprofit in Easton that works with adults and children with cognitive and physical disabilities. You can follow her @kelkelly. Thanks, Kel!

5 comments:

Kel Kelly said...

thanks for sending your running shoes! the "meg menzies soles of love" structure came together because kind, loving people like you from around the world took time to send running shoes. #thankful :)

Mark Newman said...

You go Kel! Rooting for you at Boston, and Meg will be in thoughts.

The Running Schlub said...

This is such an amazing story and a great way to remember Meg.

http://runningschlub.blogspot.com/

usd buy said...

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.Beautiful Cheap Womens Jordan 3.5 Retro sports shoes. I so like it! Thanks for sharing this to us and keep posting.
Look at my website can get them http://www.usd-buy.net/.

Esquematizada said...

I enjoyed reaading this